Thursday, April 24, 2008

Push up taught me what?

Starting a new business--check
Just had a baby--check
Can't eat chocolate because it bothers nursing baby--check
Still have other kids to look after/school--check

All of this is enough to make my knees buckle, leave me on the floor crying uncontrollably, and make me wonder how I am going to get it all taken care of.
Whenever I am feeling this overwhelmed, I think of my boys at their gymnastics practices. I have seen them on an event for hours struggling to learn a new skill or perfect an old one. They fall and get back up dozens of times. If they don't get it, their coach has them on the floor doing push ups for another hour. There are tears and snot running down their faces. Their arms are shaking and they are barely able continue going. Once they have been released from "conditioning hell", they get up thank their coach and look forward to the next practice.
It is watching them do their push ups that I learn the most. Instead of questioning 'why', they just do it. They push through the pain and do another push up. I think of the strength (both physical and mental) that it takes for them to continue.
So, if my 12 and 14 year old sons can do thousands of push ups in an hour and still get up, then I can keep pushing through. I can get up, thank life for its coaching, and do another push up.

No comments: