Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cute & Cuddly?

The speed limit is 55. But everyone is doing 70 on a two lane road that cuts through a swamp. We have been driving this road for almost a year and everyone has warned us about gators crossing the road or feral pigs.
"Be vigilant" everyone says.
"You will total your car if you hit one!"
Well, I have been vigilant. All that I have ever seen is birds flying and the usual road kill (possums, raccoons,ie).
I was beginning to believe that people were making up stories about the gators. Until Monday.
The car in front of me slammed on their brakes. Forcing me to lock up mine and sling all of the kids forward in their seat belts. I'm cursing under my breath about what is this idiot doing! We are in the middle of the swamp with no other cars around.
Then I see it. A four foot gator is racing across the street. It was so adorable and fast. I could see why the Crocodile Hunter called them cute. Okay so not like a 'cuddly take it home with you' cute, but it was cute! And fast!
I couldn't believe how fast it was. I started screaming for the kids to look out the window, but they were still in shock from me hitting the brakes so they missed it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every once in while you just have to stop and make time for the gators.

Caroline said...

That is so cool! Did you take that picture?

Nik said...

That's THE COOLEST!

He is kinda cute!

Kim said...

They are kind of cute...from a distance. :)

Glad you saw the one in front of you break!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

Do you live in Louisiana? When my husband and I were dating he ran over an alligator. He had a four by four at the time so his truck ended up going airborne! Before he had a chance to figure out what to do with this 7 foot gator two people came up to him within minutes trying to determine if he planned to keep it or if they could have dibbs! I'm glad you stayed safe, I know a lot of people have terrible accidents ending up in the swamp after these unfortunate occasions...

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you cook from scratch! Have you posted on this? Is it more time consuming, does it go by fast if you (not me obviously) know what you are doing? I bet it saves money which I would definitely be interested in!

Relyn Lawson said...

That's amazing. But, so bummed your kids missed it. Thank God you all stayed safe.